Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Trail Repair



Climbing up to The AC using my front middle chain ring last night and not enjoying it too much . So I shift down to my small ring and my Chain comes right off . I jump off my bike and put it back on the middle ring and got started again. I shift back down again and Off Goes the chain again. So I thought I better take a closer look and I found I only had one screw holding my small chain ring on, two screws were missing and thank goodness one was hanging on by a thread.
Into my saddle bag I went and out comes the "not so handy park tool" I have had in my bag for years without a need to really utilize it until now. It must of took me 15 minutes to get that screw back in tight with that short tool . Quarter turn, take out the tool from the screw move the tool, quarter turn again and again until both screws were tight .
Needless to say I stayed in my middle ring for the rest of the ride.
I really can't complain about the time it took me to fix the problem out on the trail .
I guess I should be happy I had that "not so handy tool".
I guess the point of the story is don't leave home with out your gear, cuz when you least expect it something is going to happen out on the trail.

I carry a tube ,Tire pry tool, pump ,patch kit, large allen for my cranks, Park tool AKA "not so handy park tool" and a flat head screw driver all in my seat bag.
Oh Yeah a cell phone too, in case I need to be air lifted.

Lets hope that never happens
PEACE

No comments: